HOSTING A FORCE 5 CHAMPIONSHIP REGATTA
This document is intended to provide guidance to a sailing club interested in hosting a Force 5 regional or national championship regatta. Attendance at major Force 5 championships is typically in the range of 15-30 boats. It is hoped to grow these numbers as various efforts are pursued to rejuvenate the class.
Minimum requirements for the host club
- ability to set a weather leg of 1 NM regardless of wind direction and/or to set a course of 45-60 minutes duration
- race committee experienced in running dinghy regattas
- at least one crash boat
- experienced protest committee
- appropriate launching & storage facilities; a launch ramp is desirable but not mandatory; a hoist is not required
- cooking and/or picnic facilities are highly desirable
- ability to run practice races on Wednesday and championship races Thursday-Sunday as needed. Note that traditionally regionals are usually Sat/Sun events while the nationals are Thurs-Sat events.
- The nationals are held between late June and early August. Regional championships should not be held within two weeks of the nationals.
FORCE 5 REGATTA HOST APPLICATION
The (name of club) hereby applies to the Force 5 Class Association to host the (year) national regional championship regatta from (date) to (date).
Body of water
The venue typically does does not have reliable sea breeze of knots during the dates proposed above. The sea breeze usually sets in at about (time).
Typical water temperature
The venue often sometimes never has significant quantities of floating grass or weed.
Sandy beach for launching storage.
Grassy area for launching storage.
Paved area for storage
Docks for launching with padding or carpeting
Restaurant Snack bar
Outdoor cooking facilities Picnic tables covered open
Hot showers Number
Camping on-site Approximate capacity
Alcohol is is not permitted on the club grounds
Names of hotels/motels within 5 miles
Campgrounds within 5 miles
Nearest commercial airport: is miles away.
Nearby family-friendly attractions:
Enclose a proposed schedule of events with your completed application. Thank you very much for your interest!